Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Rough Opening - Aluminum Window

Evo wrote:
BiloxiBoy wrote:

I have recently replaced all the old wooden windows in my home with
stock size alum windows. That project went "relatively" well, even
though this old house is hardly plumb, square, and level anymore...

Now, I need to cut & frame a new hole for a new 2/8 3/0 window.
Question is this, what is the typical rough opening for that size, or
perhaps a more general question would be how much bigger should the
hole be than the actual window itself - excluding the nail fins?

It's roughly 2"-2 1/2" So I usually will make it 2 1/4" not per side but
overall.

If the rough opening is 2.25" larger than the window unit the nails
through the flanges will hit air. Andersen, for example, uses a rough
opening size that's 1/2" larger than the unit size.