Gerald Miller

Default O.T. How come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong" side of the road

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:27:30 +0100, "ChrisCrosskey"
wrote:

It reminds me of something an old Foreign Office chap told me about his
years in Malta....In the UK we drive on the right side of the road, most
foreigners drive on the wrong side of the road, in Malta they drive in the
shade.......

That's what my dad tried to explain to me when I was learning to
drive, the idea being that, in spring, you should try to drive on the
south side of the road (in the shade) while the frost comes out on the
north side. As he explained this, he steered around a large pothole
and the model A dropped through the surface crust and the running
boards were pushed up to the point we couldn't open the doors. I had
to go out the window and walk three miles to get the neighbours team
to pull the car out of the mud. We used to have a three week school
break every spring due to road conditions.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada