Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Default Particle board / plywood desktop

wrote:
I'm building a desktop that will have about an 8" overhang on the front
as well as an unsupported span of about 30" in the kneehole area. The
material for the desktop is 3/4" quartersawn white oak plywood. I
considered a torsion box (per Niall Barrett's Desk book) but am afraid
that the desktop will become too thick. I'm considering laminating
the 3/4" plywood to some 3/4" particleboard then banding the edges with
some 5/4 stock bicuited into the sides. But something makes me think
this is a bad idea. I fear the plywood and particleboard, while both
pretty stable, may nonetheless react a bit differently and cause me
some problems down the line.

I've scoured the net and this board but haven't found anything quite on
point. Has anyone tried this successfully? Would laminating the
bottom with 1/4" plywood be good insurance against warpage? I'd really
like to keep the thickness around 1 1/2" if possible.

Thanks,

Steve Polaski

All you need is the 3/4" plywood for the top. Put
3/4" x 1-1/2 squirt, band, edge or whatever you
call it all the way around. And you don't need
the biscuits. Don't know what your fear of the
banding is unless you make a 10 foot desk. There
should be no warpage if you make sure you add
finish to all surfaces. I made a desk with a
similar top about 30"x48" in 1974. No problems yet.