Leuis

Default Stainless alloy suggestions

I would like to test some techniques for making stainless steel sculpture
suitable for outdoor environments (inland).

I have hitherto been working with copper sheet (1-3mm) and would like to use
similar processes - that is: formed using hammers and stakes (and soon an
English wheel when I've finished it) and TIG welded together. The wheels on
the English wheel are made from 4140 and I am going to have them
heat-treated hopefully in the range of 40hrc.

I hope to use 1-1.6mm thickness material and I need an alloy that will be
soft enough to work cold using the above methods and tools (preferably not
requiring frequent high-temp anneals), that is weldable with moderate to
good corrosion resistance.

My reading to date is leading me towards 304L or 305. The latter apparently
more susceptible to hot cracking after welding, the former more prone to
work-hardening.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leuis.