Posted to alt.home.repair
Evo

Default Finishing off a basement Step 1 ?

46erjoe wrote:

I've got a very dry, clean, tidy, high-ceilinged basement in a 4-year
old home, approx 25' X 45' in size. Unpainted concrete block walls.
Poured concrete floor with some minute cracks. The ground outside goes
about 3/4 of the way up. There is no evidence of leakage although
there is a sump pump that I hear turn on briefly every couple of days.

I want to finish off the basement dividing it into 4 rooms: furnace
room, family room, bedroom, bathroom.

Would the following be the best way to start:

1) seal and/or paint the inside block walls.

definitely seal the block wall. They make sealer for block walls that will
keep all water out from at least the wall surface.

2) stud out with 2X4s positioned an additional 2" from the wall so
that I could stuff 6" fiberglas insulation between the 16" on center
studs.

not sure about the fiberglass. But if its dry it should be ok.

3. Cover it all with plastic before screwing on 1/2" drywall

vapor barrier sounds like a good idea.

Is this arrangement inviting condensation? Should I maybe delete any
seals and use a de-humidifier instead? Should the bottom 2X4 plate be
pressure-treated? Do I even need insulation... wouldn't the dirt
outside be insulation enough? Is step #1 even needed?

It's code to use PT plate on concrete. De-humidifier is probably a good idea
to. Buy a Hilti Gun or at least rent one.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"