Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default replacing older electrical outlets

On 30 Jan 2006 08:44:44 -0800, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

I have a home that was built in the '50's and want to replace some of
the 2-prong electrical outlets with 3 prong outlets (the third prong
being the ground). Following all the normal safety precautions can I
simply install a 3 prong outlet in its place, leaving the ground
unconnected? I know this will defeat the whole purpose of a ground,
I'm just looking to have to stop using adaptors anytime I want to plug
in a three pronged device (which also defeats the purpose of the
ground).

Not necessarily. You're supposed to attach the pigtail wire, or the
little metal tab with the notch, of the adaptor to the center screw
of the outlet.. In many most or all cases -- not sure which, but
definitely sometimes -- , that screw will be grounded, and when you
take out the screw, then screw it back in with the little metal fork
underneath it, the adaptor is I believe as good as a 3 prong outlet.

Aside from losing out on the safety aspect, are there any
other risks to doing this?

Otherwise, what's involved in running a ground? Is it complicated for
a DIY'er? (maybe if I have to ask, I shuldn't try it). Or would
installing GFCI outlets be an alternative? Thanks!!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.