Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default replacing older electrical outlets

I've tested the outlet with a circuit tester and it appears they are
not grounded. To further the investigation I've pulled out the outlet
(after shutting power) and pulled the outlet out a bit. There are only
4 wires coming in, 2 white and two black (both black wires on one side
of the outlet, and both white on the other). The wires seem in good
shape (pliable and rubber sheathing was in good shape and not cracky).
I checked down in the basement and the wiring to the older plugs looked
like the texture of a gaarden hose and was called Citex. My questions

1.) If I were to hire electrician APPROXIMATELY what could I expect to
spend to get say 4-5 outlets converted (in the room right above the
fuse box). The fuse box is only a few years old and properly grounded
for the recently rewired kitchen/bath and newly finished basement.
This is in the north east (RI).

2.) If the cost in question 1 is too high, I may use a GFCI outlet as
the first in the series on the circuit and redo all the others with
standard 3 prong (I'm told this is ok code).

3.) Worst case... Is it still possible to buy 2 prong outlets (this all
started with wanting to replace the old panted over ones).

Thanks in advance!!