Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James F. Mayer

Default Circuit board repair glue that can stand soldering temperature?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"James F. Mayer" wrote in
ink.net:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there some kind of glue that can bond copper to fiberglass and
withstand the heat of a soldering iron? I have to glue some copper
strips to a board and can't just draw new traces with a silver ink
pen (really I can't, so don't suggest it or ask why). I've tried
slow and fast cure epoxies, super glue, and JB Weld, but all of them
melt almost instantly when I touch the soldering tip to them. The JB
Weld lasts slightly longer, so there must be some kind of epoxy that
will work.

Exactly what glue (brand & part no. would be nice) do companies that
do fancy circuit board repairs use? I mean repairs like rebuilding
areas that have been chomped off completely.

Yes. Loctite 608 Hysol used to be called Epoxi-Patch available
from
Wassco. It was used at Raytheon on government boards and at Jabil
Circuit.

I still have a box of clear 608 Epoxy-Patch that I used at TEK,but it's
labelled Dexter Corp,Seabrook,NH. It has a 3 minute setting time,sometimes
even quicker. The box says 1 min to mix,2 mins to use(for best results).
It's probably outdated by now.
I would not expect it to hold down copper traces before soldering,though.

The repair people at Raytheon and Jabil Circuit used it all the time
for just that. I've cut copper strip and constructed rough "PC" boards with
the stuff to hold it to the proto board. Seems to work all right.

I suspect Locktite bought the Dexter Corp?

I believe that is correct. I have some old tubes of 608 Epoxi-Patch
that expired in 1993 that have "Dexter" on them also. I bought some new
recently as I was doing some patch antenna bonding to some FR4 and making
"rough" "one of" proto boards.