Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger King

Default Question on fitting 1/8" solid oak trim to oak plywood

Haven't read all the responses, so maybe this has already been suggested...
I do this a lot, and for really critical work, I use a modeler's razor saw
and a homemade miter box.You can buy a very fine tooth modeler's saw from
any hobby shop and make a 45 degree miter box in about 10 mins. For most
stuff, I just butt the corners. When its sanded and the corner is broke, its
almost invisible.

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am making a stand alone kitchen pantry for my daughter and son-in-law out
of oak plywood. I plan to dress the visible edges with strips of 1/8" solid
oak. For those of you who have done this before, do you butt the oak trim
at the corners or do you miter it? If you miter it, what do you make the
cuts with? I have a hand miter box but the saw is still too coarse to cut
something that thin. I guess I could make a 45 degree cut on a wide board
and then cut off the 1/8" strips if it is worth the trouble because mitered
corners look that much better than butting the edges. What do you think?

TIA.

Dick Snyder