Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Default replacing older electrical outlets

volts500 wrote:
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
I'm not looking to take shortcuts and put safety at risk, Currently
half of the outlets are the older 2 prong variety (all in
kitchen/bath/livingroom are updated). We just have a few outlets in
hall ways and bedrooms that are older 2 prong still. the only devices
that get plugged into these are 2 prong devices likes vacuum, and the
laptops which are three prong (using an adaptor). We're repainting the
hallways and I was going to upgrade these outlets more for looks now
(to white outlets) and when money is less tight have them grounded.
I'm just wondering if there is risk (ie fire, etc) due to hooking 3
prong outlets to ungrounded box.

We plan on grounding eventually. How big a job is this for experienced
electrician? The outlets are all on 1st floor of a ranch and the
finished basement below has suspended ceilings (ie access to flooring
above by moving tiles).

NEC does allow 2 prong receptacles to be replaced with 3 prong
receptacles _IF_ they are GFCI protected.
What you need to do is find in first outlet in each circuit, then
install a GFCI receptacle at that location, feeding the downstream
receptacles through that GFCI receptacle. All the downstream
receptacles can then be replaced with reguler 3 prong receptacles to
meet NEC requirements. If line and load are not available at the
first outlet, another soltion is to use GFCI breakers.

In addition, you should check and see whether you do in fact have a
ground wire that may just be connected to the metal junction boxes.
You probably have just 2-wire cable connecting all your outlets, but
there was a period where an undersized ground wire was included in the
cable and was simply twisted to the other ground wires and tied to the
box. Another variation was that the undersized ground wire was wrapped
around the outside of the cable sheath and the cable was clamped to the
box which would still nake a ground connection to the box. In this
case, it may not be readily apparent that there is in fact a ground
wire connected to anythig.

A quick way to see if there may be a ground would be to take the cover
plate off a duplex outlet, and use a neon light tester between the hot
side of the duplex and the metal box. If the tester lights, then you
probably have a ground wire. If this is the case, then write back here
for more instructions about what to do to actually hook up a ground to
a 3-prong duplex outlet.

But, you probably have no ground wire at all, and will need to either
add GFCI outlets like volts500 said, or else start fishing new cables.

Ken