Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default replacing older electrical outlets

I agree, that safety should be #1, but those adapters can be a pain.
Sometimes they fall half way out and I can picture a little kid sticking his
finger in there.

"jim menning" wrote in message

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a home that was built in the '50's and want to replace some of
the 2-prong electrical outlets with 3 prong outlets (the third prong
being the ground). Following all the normal safety precautions can I
simply install a 3 prong outlet in its place, leaving the ground
unconnected? I know this will defeat the whole purpose of a ground,
I'm just looking to have to stop using adaptors anytime I want to plug
in a three pronged device (which also defeats the purpose of the
ground). Aside from losing out on the safety aspect, are there any
other risks to doing this?

SAFETY is and should always be the #1 reason to follow the rules. You are

a fool to
even consider such an installation. Other complications certainly include

liability
when someone either in the near or distant future gets hurt because of

hooking things
up this way.

Otherwise, what's involved in running a ground? Is it complicated for
a DIY'er? (maybe if I have to ask, I shuldn't try it). Or would
installing GFCI outlets be an alternative? Thanks!!

I agree that YOU shouldn't try it. If you would even consider running

without a
proper ground, you are probably the kind that would take a lot of

shortcuts, and
wouldn't make sure the system was properly inspected and SAFE when you are

done.

jim menning