Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
carl0s

Default Wanted LSI 53C876 data sheet

"Dave (from the UK)"
wrote in message ...
Pooh Bear wrote:

"Dave (from the UK)" wrote:

It is a bit silly really, as the motherboard has two single ended SCSI
controllers, but I can't see how to route either of them to a tape
drive. One does the two internal disks and internal CD, but with no
obvious way of putting a tape drive on there.

You make a new ribbon cable with an extra connector of course ! Easy.

Graham

I don't think it is as easy as that.

The 68-pin connector on the rear panel is almost certainly mounted on the
motherboard, with no cable.

The other channel, which feeds the SCSI backplane for the two 80 pin SCA
drives would need more than 68 pins, so will not be 68-pins.

I can't switch the machine off now to look and its impossible to remove
the side panel without it tripping a micro switch that disables the ouput
form the power supply.

As such, I don't believe there are any internal 68-pin SCSI connectors.

Someone else hit this problem in a Sun Blade 2000 computer.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...4c eff3c244ee

which is a somewhat similar. Mine is somewhat older, but quad processors,
whilst that is somewhat never and dual processors.

It would appear from the replies he got that for DDS-4, you can use a
narrow connector (50 pin), as the data is only transfered at about 5 MB/s
maximum.

I'm still confused. You can buy SCA to 68-pin adapters, and 68pin to 50-pin
adapters. The big problem would be that the bus would run at the speed of
the slowest device.