Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry

Default Refinishing Beat Up Kitchen Cabinets

I would suggest what is called refacing.

Basically you replace the doors and drawers and skin the face frames
with peel and stick veneer (on top of a good water-based contact
cement) and lay on a 1/8" ply on the sides. Doors typically mounted
with euro style hinges.

1. Pay someone to do this.
2. Buy the doors and drawers from a 3rd party (many on-line) and then
reskin the casing yourself.
3. Build your own doors and drawers and reskin the casing.

I've done #3 and it is pretty easy. If you don't want to make your own
drawers and doors, then opt for #2. Option #1 is too expensive for as
easy as this is to do in my opinion.

You can buy veneer and doors in a number of species including maple,
cherry, and oak. I used cherry and finished with a shellac wash coat
followed by gel stain and a wipe on poly/oil finish.

Unless your casings are falling apart or you want to change the overall
look and configuration of the kitchen, it is an easy update. I did my
bathrooms as well -- everyone thinks we had new cabinets installed.

Rocker (www.rocker.com) has supplies but there are other vendors as
well. There is a book that takes you through the whole process.

Good luck.