Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Default Chip Foose' latest car: Impression

Peter Grey wrote:
You need to spend some time around custom cars before claiming that
something that perfect can't happen.

Actually when I was a kid, my father restored custom cars for a living. We
owned a 1931 Ford Model A truck, completely restored. I even got to drive it a
few times. He also restored Packards, Bentleys, an MG and a spitfire, an older
Jaguar, a couple old Chevy's, etc. I helped on quite a few. He wasn't into hot
rodding at all, just restoring to original condition.

I'm not saying Foose's design CAN'T happen, only that the photos on hotrod.com
LOOK fake. There is excessive anti-aliasing perturbations which indicate a lossy
algorithm. (Anti-aliasing takes incredible processing power, hence computer
artists generally sacrifice days or weeks of rendering time for a little poorer
anti-aliasing quality.) So to me the photos on hotrod's page still look fake
because of this poor anti-aliasing.

Now http://www.chipfoose.com/profile2.aspx shows a photo which looks more
realistic. There's other "photos" there which show slight perturbations also
like the Grandmaster. How the interior of the Grandmaster was illuminated so
uniformly with the roof still in place... that doesn't seem realistic even with
a warehouse full of fuzz boxes. But such "transparent" global illumination is
relatively easy to do in CG nowadays.

I know Chip Foose is a well-known artist, and photos-for-print are almost
always touched-up. But why not have the best photographic quality reserved for
the best cars in show? Surely, he of all people can afford it.