Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Cabling behind gas fire?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:59:21 +0000, Simon Foster wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Ed Sirett wrote

So I think the "trolling" crack was uncalled for, especially as I
have provenance here, more as an asker, admitted, but definitely not
a troller.

And I treat you with the respect you deserve, which is a lot.

Sorry mike. I was referring to the OP who has not re posted as yet.

Oh, sorry, I'm being oversensitive.

I did notice he seemed to have gorn - I wonder if he's one of those guys
who go round staring arguments and b***ing off :~)

Heh, but you two seem to be having great fun - although do I now read that
as I'm being called a troll for asking for a little advice??

Anyway, the fire is one of these -
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...nthem&zone=all - which
is being fitted into an original fireplace which has been bricked up provide
the right size opening for it. We've also got a hearth and mantle from the
same B&Q mix and match range to go with it.

I was thinking that maybe I could drill a hole either side of the chimney
breast at the back and put a 40mm waste pipe through to thread my cables?
The fireplace is a lot deeper than the fire, so could I then lean hearth
stones against the back of the chimney breast over the pipe to protect it
from any heat?

Apologies to you Simon.
It's not unknown for people to suggest/ ask for advice over something that
is (in different circumstances) so wrong just to see if they can get a
good few poster worked up...

I guess if the pipe (now called a conduit) is covered with
mortar/stones/bricks then this would be OK.