Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default lathe chuck

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there Mac

I just bought another Oneway chuck too, a Talon this time, I have a
Stronghold already, You know the most important reason for me to buy a
Oneway is, the Patented jaws shape, yes the quality is very good and so
are some other chucks but the jaw shape makes all the difference in
that you can hold wood square or round securely over the whole opening
range of the chucks jaw opening ability
There is no other chuck that has that advantage.
I don't want to admit this but I was at Busy Bee couple of months ago
and against better knowing I picked up one of their low cost (CHEAP)
chucks, something like 50something $$$, what a waste of money, I had
thought that OK maybe I will have to chuck it up in my metal lathe and
fix it up a bit, well it would be easier to machine a new one than to
try fixing that pos, it's even to light to make even a good door stop,
o well, live and learn, could have bought a nice bowl gouge instead
(ouch).

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I did it the other way around. I bought a BB cheapie for my CdnTire lathe.
To be honest it worked reasaonably well and I did some good stuff with it.
Bent the tommy bars making sure it was tight though! When I got my General I
bought a Stronghold. What a difference in chucking. I now have both
Strongholds and Talons. I like the small size of the Talon which reduces its
footprint on the bowl bottom. Oneway says 14" dia for Talon but I know
turners who hold larger work than that with it.
billh