Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Big Lathe?

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. com...

Both the Woodfast tool rests and the Stubby rests are properly designed,
IMHO. They both have a properly designed surface to support the tool and
both have an indentation on the back which fits your index finger.

Not me. I hold the tool to the rest, not the piece. That's unnecessary.
If you remember your vector geometry, you want to keep the angle less than
45 for toolrest support anyway. Otherwise you're going to have to use your
groin.

If there was an after-market for these rests I'd be happy to consider
supplying them.

Woodfast makes both inboard and outboard 's' shaped rests which I could
import but I haven't seen one so have no idea right now what they look
like. They don't make a rest with a single curve.

The ones at Vicmarc.com appear shorter than the reach on my cast iron. I
suppose I could use my offset extension, which I do sometimes, but I prefer
not to play with a third item.