Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Question on fitting 1/8" solid oak trim to oak plywood

Dick Snyder wrote:

I am making a stand alone kitchen pantry for my daughter and son-in-law out
of oak plywood. I plan to dress the visible edges with strips of 1/8" solid
oak. For those of you who have done this before, do you butt the oak trim at
the corners or do you miter it? If you miter it, what do you make the cuts
with? I have a hand miter box but the saw is still too coarse to cut
something that thin. I guess I could make a 45 degree cut on a wide board
and then cut off the 1/8" strips if it is worth the trouble because mitered
corners look that much better than butting the edges. What do you think?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

You could make balls-on accurate miters with a shooting board set up for
45 degree miters. I have a straight shooting board that converts to a
miter shooting board by screwing on a wide board that is mitered to a
perfect 45. No tearout, and no angle mistakes.

dave