Andy Hall

Default Cables in plastic conduits

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:39:12 +0100, "Me"
wrote:

Hi

I think that the regs indicate the cables in walls need to be protected against physical damage
(e.g. hammering nails into the wall). I think that unless the cable is over 50mm deep in the
wall or within 150mm of the edge of the wall that mechanical protection is needed. Fair enough.

But in my house, re-wired in 1982, all the cables in the walls are less than 50mm deep and in
plastic oval conduit. If I'm extending the wiring, can I legitimately carry on with this
scheme, or need I install metal shielding?

Regards
John

The Wiring Regulations do allow you to run cables concealed without
either the 50mm depth or steel protection either vertically or
horizontally from wiring accessories - i.e. light switches and power
sockets etc.

You only need the depth or protection if you want to run them at an
angle or in other places - e.g. if you went horizontally from a switch
and then up without there being a wiring accessory at the point where
the cable changes direction.

There are also bands at the corners of walls as you say. To be
precise they are 150mm wide in corners (along each wall) and 150mm
from the top of a wall. The band at skirting board level for 150mm
is not a permitted zone from this perspective.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl