Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default kitchen worktop

.. [email protected] wrote:

Roger Mills (aka Set Square) wrote:

As above, but use a fine sharp TCT blade (buy a new one if necessary)
and start at the front edge. Set the depth of cut only slightly more
than the worktop thickness. Clamp a strip on timber parallel with the
cut line, at an appropriate distance from it, to guide the saw.

as above or use a /high quality/ jigsaw with a downcut blade. this
method worked a treat for me as I was unable to trun the worktops
over when
I'd done the cut because the worktops are 3.6m long and therefore
heavy *and* unweildy. one has a standard sink cut out and the other a
900mm hole for the 6 burner stainless hob.

I suspect we're talking about 2 different sorts of cut. I was talking about
a straight full-width cut, as in cutting a worktop to the required length.
The edge will show, and needs to be very straight and square - *very*
difficult to achieve with a jigsaw. You are talking about cutting an
aperture for an inset sink, etc. - where the edge will be covered by a
flange. A jigsaw is fine for this - in fact far better than a circular saw
since it will cut rounded corners.
--
Cheers,
Roger