Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default draughty floor board gaps

Chris Bacon wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

owdman wrote:

Anybody tried this: http://www.stopg-p.co.uk/ ?
It struck me that there might be something similar but cheaper in a
plastic or neoprene mouldings catalogue. Any alternative suggestions?

They don't show the section anywhere. I think you might be right!
Perhaps it's a re-packaged "off the wall" product.

High time someone addressed this problem.

This problem has been addressed. On their site they even say
"Consultations with the sanding contractor revealed our options
to be very few. We could use Papier-mché or a mix of glue an
sawdust, pushed into the gaps and re-sanded". I wouldn't recommend
the glue and sawdust, not if the glue's PVA, anyway. Papier mache
works quite well.

Looks like it's black, which is probably the best colour because then
you don't actually see it, and it just highlights the straight lines.

Probably a vee, as they say it should be pressed down out of sight
into a 1-8mm wide groove 10mm deep minimum.

I have my doubts about the bits between the joists staying put if the
gap is significantly wider, or narrower than the strip. I can only see
rubber or silicone being sufficiently flexible.

Probably a springy vee.

IME springy plastic vees cease being springy after a while, at which
point presumably they would sag between the joists. Best stuff I've seen
is a silicone tube section, which compresses down to nothing but readily
springs back, even after several years of compression.