Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Ground Fault Interrupter question

Rick wrote:
"Jim-Poncin" wrote in message
ink.net...

I apparently ruined the ground fault interrupter outlet in the garage when I
was trying to fix something. The thing has been a pain in the ass. I plan to
replace it with a regular non-gfi wall outlet.

Any major reason not to? I know enough not to grab hot wires.

Thanks

For starters, it's a code requirement (210-8(a)(2) if the outlet is accessible

You may know enough not to grab hot wires, but do you inspect each cord and power tool
before you plug it in every time you use them? Saw a training film on accidental
electrocution years ago. A mom was making a video of her kid using a shop vac to clean his
car. It had a fault, he's dead.

I guess it depends on valuable your (or someone else's) life is...

You and Gideon ought to get together and make
half-way reasonable statement.