Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default signal when someone is in the little back yard?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:55:58 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

mm wrote:
Any good ideas on how to signal the person inside when someone comes
into their backyard? It has a 3 1/2 foot fence around it, with gate
that latches or can be locked with a padlock.

I have a townhouse and the people next door want to build a six-foot
fence around their back yard, so their 4 year old daughter can play
alone or with her sister in the backyard.

They need my signature to build the taller fence, but I would rather
pay for something, up to maybe 150 dollars, if you guys can tell me
what would work well.

Or any other helpful suggestions to keep them from being angry at me.

I don't want a 6 foot fence next to my yard -- it would be like
living in a prison -- especially since

a) mothers tell me a little girl shouldn't be left alone anyhow
b) she's in day care, and later will be in school five days a week.
c) she's gone all day sunday every sunday.
d) stranger kidnappings are very rare (although there was one last
summer somewhere within 50 miles of our house.
e) She get older, or they will move, and I'll be stuck with that
fencer.
f) No one ever goes behind our houses (a row of 8 townhouses) except
homeowners to get their lawn mowers from their back lawns to their
front, and the cable guy, when someone makes changes in their cable
service. There is no housing behind our houses, only woods, a
stream, woods and a street 150 feet away.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

How can you build a device that would distinguish
between the little girl and someone else coming
into the yard?

Maybe put something in the little girl's clothes, like those
"inventory control" tags used by large stores for the purpose of
annoying their customers.

If, ok with you, let them build
the 6' fence in back but not between houses.
Otherwise just say no. That's why other residents
need to get permission from their neighbors. No
hard feelings, just No. Besides if it for
protection of the little girl it is essentially
useless, the fence might even act as an attractant.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com