Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Doorbell wire - safe on exterior

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:03:23 GMT, Randy Day
wrote:

Justin West wrote:

Randy, I have skimmed the Canadian Electrical Code-Part 1 and "Wiring
for Canadian Homes and Cottages" (CSA publication as well), and could
find no references to the above.

That being said, the typical scenario is a step-down transformer to
reduce your 120Vac to typically 24Vac, which then runs up to your chime
and push button. My personal recommendation is to run a minimum of
14guage wire.

My intention is to be as by-the-book on this
as possible. I know about the 24v xformer, and
I suspected the 'book' might not address it
because of that, but I thought I should ask the
experts here before assuming anything.

So there are no apparent restrictions on it,
but no guidelines, either. Oh well...

14 gauge might be a bit large to fit under the
moulding, but I'll look into it.

And seems excessive for just the low-voltage circuit for a doorbell.
Those transformers probably can't put out more than 1A or so. 24 gauge
should be suitable.

Beyond that, you may not want to run the wire where it is exposed as
there is a higher degree for tampering with it, and being affected by
the elements.

I don't have the option of ripping out the wall
to install the wire, so exterior seems the least
objectionable alternative.

Thanks.

--
Mark Lloyd