Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Dave (from the UK)

Default Wanted LSI 53C876 data sheet

Winfield Hill wrote:
from the UK wrote...

I'm looking for a data sheet on an LSI chip. It is the 53C876 and is
used as a dual channel SCSI controller.

Any ideas - I looked at the LSI site and was unable to find it, but
perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. All I could find are drivers
for Windows PCs to use SCSI cards based on that chip, which is not what
I want.

I'm thinking of converting a couple of dual channel SCSI cards - one is
single ended (SE) and the other high voltage differential (HVD), so
the boards have one SE and one HVD channel on each board, rather than
two of the same on the boards. I need both SE and HVD in a computer, but
don't want to use two PCI slots.

I can post a copy to abse, would that be helpful?

Thanks, but someone pointed me to an online version

http://www.lsilogic.com/files/docs/t...ollers/876.pdf
(from)
http://www.lsilogic.com/products/scs...si53c876e.html

It appears what I was thinking of doing (hacking a dual single ended and
a dual high voltage differential boards to make a dual Se + HVD board)
would be quite difficult, since the two PCB layouts of the Sun SCSI
boards in question are quite different.

The SYM22810 (which looks identical to the Sun 375-0005 single ended board)
http://www.lsilogic.com/products/scs.../lsi22801.html

and the SYM22802 (which I assume is the same as the Sun 375-0006 Sun HVD
board, although I can't verify this)
http://www.lsilogic.com/products/scs.../lsi22802.html

are far from the same as you can see.

I've verified the 53C876 chip will do both SE and differential, but
getting the other chips hooked up requires more than simply swapping a
few chips from one board to another.

I'd like to find out how on earth a tape drive can be fitted in my
computer (Sun Ultra 80). A DDS-3 tape was available as an option, but I
can't see if it needed a SCSI board.

It is a bit silly really, as the motherboard has two single ended SCSI
controllers, but I can't see how to route either of them to a tape
drive. One does the two internal disks and internal CD, but with no
obvious way of putting a tape drive on there. The other feeds a
connector on the rear, with again no obvious way of attaching an
internal tape drive to that.

There are spaces for 3 internal units - a floppy, CD and one other.
--
Dave K