Posted to alt.home.repair
jj_sutton76

Default water seeping into bedroom - HELP!!!

hello all! i have a big problem with a starter house i purchased a few
years ago and figured i'd come here for some sage advice.

the problem is simple: water is seeping into the northeast corner of
the bedroom whenever we have a heavy rain. i purchased a dehumidifier
last summer to help remedy the situation, but as i'm sure you've
figured out by now the problem has gotten out of control. the carpet
permanently smells like mildew in that corner and i'm sure once i
tear-down the wallpaper, the drywall will be rotted.

from what i understand, the room was an addition and it's obvious from
just giving it a once over that it was poorly constructed. i have no
idea what foundation they laid. the house does not have a basement and
the crawlspace does not extend underneath that room. i'm assuming it
must be concrete slab.

does anyone have any advice on how i should tackle this problem short
of hiring a contractor? or can you perhaps point me to any books/videos
that may address problems like this?

thanks in advance for listening and if you need any other info, please
ask and i'll gladly oblige it.

thanks,
jeff