Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

Default Coffee Maker Troubles...

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Black & Decker "Cup at a Time" coffee maker that will not make
a full cup of coffee. It will make about 3/4 of a cup and shut off with
still more water in the reservoir yet to be brewed. It also takes much
longer to brew the coffee than before. The coffee maker is not even two
years old, but I'm afraid it may be time to replace it unless I can
find suggestions on what may be wrong with it.

Any ideas?
-Felder

I agree with others that coffee makers are generally pretty durable. Try
the vinegar routine. If that doesn't work, replace it if it's as cheap as my
$20 basic Braun ten cup job. If it's a fancy job worth repairing, look in
the bowels of the thing where the heater element is. There is a small
thermostat element wired in series with the main heating element. When no
more water is passing through the heater, the temperature rises and the
thermostat cuts off the power except for enough to provide warming of the
brewed coffee. Replacement thermostats should be available. Probably not
worth the trouble if it's a one cupper.

SJF