Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Vince

Default CTC187 dead

Make sure the diode that supplies the HOTr is good or bad, if its good the
HOTr is bad , you have to unsolder one or the other, either one could cause
the fuse to go.
Vince
"Mike Bates" wrote in message
. ..
I got this set, friend wants it fixed.

He said the power button is messed up, and it doesnt turn on. well, I seen
that it was a ctc187, I know thats not the case. I got the set, and
pressed
the button, it presses fine. I immidiately thought in my head, since I
worked on these before, the 10uf cap in the SMPS primary is gone, fuse is
gone, and STK is wasted. thats what I first thought.

I took it apart, only to confirm my suspician, the fuse is wasted.

I pulled it out, here is the rundown so far: caps look normal, no bloated
or
exploaded caps like on most of the ones I worked on.

The fuse is gone, the HOT is shorted, and 1 of the 2 secondary diodes is
shorted. The one that feeds the flyback and associated circuits is
shorted.

Ok, question. What caused the HOT to blow in the first place? flyback
possibly bad?

I got another board identical to it, that had a bad STK, and all the power
supply caps. Everything was recapped, but the woman said she tossed it,
and
didnt want it fixed, so I never got the STK, and ended up robbing the caps
and the NTSC processor for another set. The HOT and associated circuits
are
still OK.

I wonder if I should just pull the flyback and HOT, with the diodes, and
some blue pincussion caps and change them out?

any thoughts would be appriciated.

----
Mike