Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PaPaPeng

Default TV Repair or Replace

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:51:41 GMT, "Jack" wrote:

I have a 35" Toshiba TV. It's about 10 years old. I just turned it on and
all I see is a horizontal white line across the center of the tube.

Question: Repair or replace it?

Thanks

If you have some electronics skills and am handy with a solder try to
locate if there is a cold solder problem. One of the dignostic
indicators was that the problem could be temporaliy fixed by slapping
the sides of the TV = loose connection somewhere.

The gist of my fix was to open up the back cover. Switch on the TV.
Use a long wood dowel to move around or tug on the wire harnesses.
One of the tugs on the CRT PCB harness reproduced my TV's problem.
This was horizontal white spaces and spread out scan lines on top of
the screen. Traced that to a practically invisible crack on the
solder pads for the pin connector on the PCB. Reflowed the solder.
The image now is even sharper and better than before.