Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

Default Chip Foose' latest car: Impression

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
news

I'm quite experienced with computer graphics and rendered images. While it
might be feasible to design something this perfect, I just don't see it
happening. And you have to consider the functionality of the finished
product -
the engine looks too "imagined" rather than functional. It is easy to make
an
engine look like that with smoothed polygons. But where is the
distributor? The
carburettor? The air cleaner? Why is the firewall "perfect?" No wires? No
hoses?
No steering rack? Does the engine run on zero-point vacuum energy?

Well, the picture may be touched up, and I haven't seen the car in person,
but the things you pointed out are no indication that the car isn't "real".
Crank-fire ignitions have made distributors unnecessary for years. There is
no carburator because the car in injected. The picture doesn't show enough
to see where the air intake is, but the intake manifold is visible so I have
faith that the air gets in somewhere. Smoothed and blemish-free firewalls
have been a feature of rods for years. I don't like the look, but many many
car builders do it. Assuming that sparkplug wires that are clearly showing
on the top of the engine aren't functional, wires and hoses are easily
hidden.

I'm betting that whatever touch ups have been done to these photos are to
get rid of the odd dust speck, not materially change any part of the car.
You need to spend some time around custom cars before claiming that
something that perfect can't happen. While I don't always like the style of
many of the custom cars I've seen, there's no denying the skill of the folks
that build many of them.

Peter