Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Surprises about electrical conductivity

Seems to me simple coulombic forces (very large, btw) would drive the
electrons radially outwards.
Assuming the wire were actually momentarily charged, like a capacitor....
Which, then, mebbe it's not, so then my argument fails.... much too
confusing....

I think I'll solve Maxwell's Equations tonite, during CSI or sumpn.....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:40:09 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Very interesting!

Which then suggests brazing electrical connections?

You omitted alum, nickel, gold.

Old wiring, at least in parts of NY, were soldered AND wire nutted!!
I think soldering of splices in house wiring is a very good, safe idea.
Just not all that convenient.

Now here's sumpn fer you electricians:

I have old cloth-covered #9-10 solid wire in my old cloth-covered house,
and sed wire is, I believe, *silver plated*!!!! Well, plated w/ sumpn,
brite and shiny.
If it *is* silver, it is a marvelous idea, because sposedly the bulk of
the
current density in a conducting wire lies on the surface of the wire.
If it's tin plated, the question is then *why*!
Nickel??

Might make sense then, to silver, or even copper plate aluminum wire.
Like our pennies.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com