Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default Way off topic question

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
et...
| You are not Army material!

I heartily concur. I think he should have joined the Air Force, where
he can feel right at home. As a former jarhead, I'm allowed to make a few
swipes!
Of course in the Air Farce, he could wind up in the middle of nowhere,
with just a couple other bored stiffs minding a "nonexistent" bunker full of
"nonexistent" warheads. He wouldn't very likely wind up in any combat
areas, since he's such a candy ass in the Air Force. (No offense meant to
active or former Air Force airmen, okay? I'm just having some fun!)

I'll offer this much, and I speak from experience. For the most part,
the most exiting jobs in the service have the least amount of useful career
skills/potential pay "on the outside." Aviation and medical offer skills
you can take just about anywhere, but they're not very exciting. If he
really wanted a "guarantee" he should sign up for a six year hitch where the
training is a good bit longer and far more useful, and they're more likely
to put you where you want to be.
However, I watched a lot of folks "rock out" of the schools I went to,
so they were routed to jobs less demanding on their brain on a regular
basis. If you score well on the ASVAB (I did) you can pretty much go where
you want, but that requires you to have a well exercised brain before you
take the test. I studied hard (well, for the most part) and I went on to do
what I planned to do.

I think this fellow's attitude will change a good bit after he spends
some time in. There was a lot of folks in my units that came in as "boots"
with one attitude, eventually realized the error of being whiney asses, and
by the time four years came around they had different attitudes. Some even
got all their **** in one sock and went on to do really well. There's
plenty of time to grow up while you're in, and at that age, a whole lot left
to do. For him, he's got more than most (I think!)