Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default paradigm shift wi/o a clutch was OT - "Out, damned spot! Out, I say!"

"gfulton" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

(snippage)

One would think that the indirect coercion implicit in being ruled by
Nazi occupiers would be more than sufficient. Those Nazi Swedes may
have also believed in the creed professed (if not exactly followed) by
the Nazis, who had a following in the US as well.

I believe the Stockholm Syndrome refers to a hostage incident in the '70's
in which the hostages resisted their rescuers. One of those useless

pieces
of information that stuck for some reason. The Nazi's didn't occupy
Sweden.

Garrett Fulton

Oh, jeez, did my memory get twisted up. Yes, "identification with the
aggressor" (IWA) was a phrase from a study of concentration camps in 1943 (a
German study, I think), referring to Jews who had flipped. That was the
theory that was applied to slaves in the US, and which was also known as the
"Sambo syndrome."

The Stockholm Syndrome came much later. And it was Norway, not Sweden, that
further got messed up in my recollection -- although I don't know if Norway
had any examples of IWA.

I've got to write this down before dementia sets in. g

--
Ed Huntress