Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default Removing 1990 Kenmore over the range microwave

"jsework" wrote in message
oups.com...
The previous owner of my house installed a 1990 Kenmore over the range
microwave (model 721.8965580). Based on the model code I know that
Goldstar manufactured it.

I don't have the installation instructions but based upon web searches
and my own investigation I know it is definitely attached to a wall
mounted bracket. I am trying to remove the oven and bracket in order
to install a new microwave. There are only two bolts providing support
through the upper cabinets. I have removed those and folded the lower
tabs down on the wall bracket. Even after doing all this I can't get
the oven to break loose from the wall bracket.

In the meantime I replaced the bolts.

The oven was installed as non-vented, ductless.

Has anyone removed a similar microwave? Are there upper bracket tabs or
something else still holding onto the oven? Does anyone have other
ideas?

Thanks for any help,

I've sold these things at Sears and have removed/installed several. You
have the right idea as to how it's installed but I don't understand why you
would have bent the tabs down. All you should have had to do was remove the
two bolts from above and then pry down on the front upper edge between the
cabinet and the microwave. Actually you should have had to hold the
microwave to keep it from falling down. The microwave would then have
tilted forward so you could lift it off the tabs on the wall mounting
bracket. I checked the installation diagram at Sears.com found in "parts"
and it shows only the two bolts from above holding the m/w and all other
bolts only through the bracket. Is it possible the prior owner thought this
insufficient and re-engineered the mounting method? Perhaps they added some
construction glue between the m/w and the upper cabinet or between the wall
and the back of the m/w.

Tom G.