Ed Huntress

Default OT - NY Times economy article

"mikee" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

Well, let your curiosity be piqued no mo the data in this particular
article is attributed to the Economic Policy Institute. You can look

them up
on the Web.

I looked them up. Interesting site. I confess to being a "true believer"

in
conservative Republican principles, so the Economic Policy Institute

material
seemed a little left leaning to me, but I did read some of it.

It is somewhat lefty by US standards, but it's a better source than most.
Again, if you want to go to the original data, it's not hard to do, just
time consuming. I do it all the time myself -- if I publish a figure in
print, I either double-check it against the original source, or, if I have
to use just one source, I make damned sure I attribute it. That's what The
Economist does, too.

I'll make half-hearted attempts to double-check things I quote in a
newsgroup, but a conversation isn't the same thing as a published quote.

Twain is often misquoted. The actual quote is "lies, damn lies,

statistics,
economics."

I assume this is a joke, right? The actual quote, from Twain's posthumus
autobiography, is "The remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with
justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
statistics'."

But there is no record that Disraeli said it, either.

Ed Huntress