Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default Vibration Hollowing A Bowl

I core almost every bowl that I turn. On all of the larger blanks,
after it has been cored, as I start to turn the inside, there is
vibration. I think that this is due to there being little mass to
support the walls. I haven't ever had any vibration when turning the
outside. To counter this, I let my left hand act as a stead rest on the
outside of the bowl. Gentle pressu if your hand is getting hot, you
are pressing too hard. Also, I take very light cuts nearer to the rim.
Taking it down to final thickness in steps, rather than one long cut is
easier, but with practice, you can take that one cut from the rim to
the base in one pass. Have you noticed that the vibration is gone by
the time that you get half way or so down the inside of the bowl?
robo hippy