Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Surprises about electrical conductivity

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:40:09 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Very interesting!

Which then suggests brazing electrical connections?

You omitted alum, nickel, gold.

Old wiring, at least in parts of NY, were soldered AND wire nutted!!
I think soldering of splices in house wiring is a very good, safe idea.
Just not all that convenient.

Now here's sumpn fer you electricians:

I have old cloth-covered #9-10 solid wire in my old cloth-covered house,
and sed wire is, I believe, *silver plated*!!!! Well, plated w/ sumpn,
brite and shiny.
If it *is* silver, it is a marvelous idea, because sposedly the bulk of the
current density in a conducting wire lies on the surface of the wire.
If it's tin plated, the question is then *why*!
Nickel??

Might make sense then, to silver, or even copper plate aluminum wire.
Like our pennies.

Skin effect is almost totally irrelevent at 60 htz, and most of that
old knob and tube wiring was bright tin plated. Copper plated aluminum
would be a corrosion nightmare.