Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hari Seldon

Default Shop space Question

wrote

Is anyone aware of any businesses or co-op's where a person can go in
and use woodworking, metal, or other types of tools and machinery for
personal or hobby use. A place designed for the person that doesn't
have the cash, space, or need for specialize tools but does like to work
with their hands.

Sorry, I can't help you with that but your question got
me to thinking that maybe local job-shops ought to offer
people the chance to use their equipment and learn how
to run a mill/lathe/ect, while getting some free work out
of them?

For example, I run a (manual) vertical mill at work but
would also like to learn how to use a CNC mill and lathe.

I'd be willing to stop by after work for a few of hours a
week and work for "Joe Blow's Machine Shop", turning
out parts on his CNC mill and/or lathe, in exchange for
him teaching me how to use these machines.

I'd get some experience and training for free and he'd get
some work done for free.

There would also be the added benefit of "cross-pollination"
of potential employee/employer; He may need someone to
replace an employee who leaves and would already know
of a possible replacement and I may need a job in the future
and would already know of a shop that might hire me.

Any of you shop owners think an idea like this might work
and what issues would need to be considered before you'd
be willing to give it a try?