Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default Way off topic question

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

If you can follow orders and do the job assigned to you in spite of your
political convictions you will be able to serve. If you think that might
not be possible then the Army isn't the place for you. You are about to
enter a whole different world where the First Amendment does NOT apply and
the biggest concept to understand is - "you don't have a choice". Doesn't
matter if you don't like it, doesn't even matter if it is obviously stupid
and inefficient. If you get ordered to do it, you must do it. If you
don't, you get in trouble. Enough trouble and the Army will just send you
home with a dishonorable discharge which is NOT something you want on your
resume. Enough trouble while serving in Iraq and you might get a stopover
at Fort Leavenworth. Since your post is coherent and grammatically correct
I'll assume you are fairly smart. Make sure you understand that all the
folks you think are stupid may have joined the Army before you and will
outrank you and can give you orders to do the dumbest damned things you ever
saw. Doesn't even matter if they are your boss or not. EVERYONE who
outranks you will give you orders, usually done in a manner to satisfy their
personal egos and not to show you any kind of respect or common courtesy.
If you can live with that for a couple of years, go ahead.

Good luck.
Steve.
former artillery officer