Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Default draughty floor board gaps

Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
Anybody tried this:
http://www.stopg-p.co.uk/ ?
It struck me that there might be something similar but cheaper in a
plastic or neoprene mouldings catalogue. Any alternative suggestions?

cheers
Jacob

High time someone addressed this problem. Looks like it's black, which
is probably the best colour because then you don't actually see it, and
it just highlights the straight lines.
I have my doubts about the bits between the joists staying put if the
gap is significantly wider, or narrower than the strip. I can only see
rubber or silicone being sufficiently flexible.
Let us know if you end up using it.

The boatbuilder's fix for gaps like this is to use a polyurethane
sealant in a darker colour than the wood such as Sikaflex®-290 DC. There
are cheaper polyurethane sealants around and they have an estimated
50-75 year life.

The good things is that they can be sanded and overpainted or varnished
which you cannot do with silicone sealants.