Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Surprises about electrical conductivity

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

P.S. I heard somewhere recently that someone calculated that there's
more copper existing in wiring and plumbing in the USA than remains in
the known national reserves. Can anyone confirm that?

There are totally MASSIVE amounts of copper in power company
transformers all over the place. I suspect that the total
copper in the little distribution transformers on everybody's
power poles are a bit more than the amount in the substation
transformers serving them, but it all adds up. The copper in
generating station alternators is also pretty huge.

Most power company transmission lines are aluminum with steel
strength cables in the center.

Jon