Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Chris Bacon

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

Steve Firth wrote:
John Wright wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:19:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Wright wrote:

I suspect that tends to work on the assumption that there are large
amounts of substances freely available to support combustion - this
should not be the case in the average petrol station.

A mobile phone also can transmit at maximum power when not in use -
that's
the chirp you sometimes hear on the car radio.

The starter motor on the car engine also generates lots of sparks -
perhaps one should leave the engine running while filling? ;-)

But maximum power on a mobile phone is only 2W on 900 MHz and 1W on
1800 MHz. Not a lot really. Compare that to a starter motor.

What you and several other seem top be forgetting is that the vibrator
in a mobile phone is an electric motor spinning an eccentric weight. The
few reports that seem credible of explosions caused by mobile phones all
occurred while someone was standing by the filler either holding a
ringing mobile or having one in their pocket.

I think that the EM radiation from the phone is a red herring, sparks
close to petrol vapour OTOH are a genuine concern.