Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Gable Fan?

On 28 Jan 2006 16:31:28 -0800, wrote:

Ok, I just had a new roof with a ridge vent installed on my Cape, along
withnew siding and perforated soffit vents. There are also gable vents on
either
end.

Because of the configuration of the upstairs hallway, installing a
whole
house fan will be difficult (and I don't want to put it in one of the
bedrooms). Also, I understand that whole house fans do a good job of
pulling in HUMID cool air, as well as being noisey.

Of course they pull in humd air, if tahat is what is outside. And
don't assume the outside air will be cool. It will only be cool when
it is cool outside. and that might not be until 8 or 9 PM, or later--
I forget. So when you want to sleep,or at least when you are home,
that will be the very time you have to run t e fan.

A gable or a roof fan runs mostly when you're not home, in my case
from about 10 in the morning until 7 in the evening, and because it is
so much farther from me, I can barely hear it. usually I need to turn
it off at the switch I have in the upstairs hall to know if it is
running or not. (Or course I leave my windwos open all summer, so
there is never dead silence in my house in the summer.

If you store things in the attic, it's better too, because you're not
heating them to 140 and then cooling them off every day. I think the
thermostatt came set at 85, but it does get up to 100 or maybe 110 in
the attic, but no hotter than that.

I'm interested in a gable fan - cooling the attic space, and leaving my
dryair conditioned air alone on the second floor.

Is there any danger of the fan pulling in rain water through the ridge
vent?

I have a roof fan. Rain lands on the roof just outside the fan and
bounces into the screen. some of that bounces back, I'm sure, and
some goes through the screen and lands on the floor of te attic. It's
a piece of plywood. I've never found it wet, only a little moist.
Never soaked in even a millimeter, afaik. 22 years, and no damage,
but nothing there to be damaged. I would not leave clothes or
finished furniture underneath the fan.

Are they typically a low amp type of deal - meaning could it be wired
into an existing outlet near by, or does it need it's own dedicated circuit?

Don't remember. I have one light in the basement and one light in the
attic on the same 15 amp circuit. It' snever blown a fuse. I have
gone through 4 motors in 22 years, some last a long time and some as
little as 2 or 3 years. Don't know why. Change them from the insdie
of course and I think I've gotten the time down to 30 or 20 minutes.
Theres a motor repair store in Baltimore that sells exactt
replacments.

Also, somebody said I shouldn't even have gable vents anymore, as there
issupposed to be a flow between the soffit and ridge vents - and the
gablevent will eliminate that. Should I just have one gable vent with a fan
andcap the other one?

I guess it matters how high up your gable vent is. I have a friend
with a very low one, becauwse it is meant to replace the soffitt vents
she doesn't have. If your gable vent is high, there is much less air
about it, and some air must vent through the ridge vent without fan
assistance.

It sounds like you should leave well enough alone. A ridge vent with
good soffit venting should be all you need. Some people are of the

Maybe it should be, but that certainly wasn't my experience. I had a
full length ridge vent (in a townhouse about twenty ?four? feet wide)
and full length without interruption soffit vents in both the front
and back of the house, about 4 inches wide. The center of the attic is
about 7 feet high, and (if it matters) the shingles were dark brown.

BEcause I don't use AC, I would come home about 5 or 6 pm and it would
be so hot upstairs in the summer, I stopped gooing up there. I would
sleep on the loft bed in the basement, and go up the next morning to
shower and get new clothes.

After the fan went in the attic, it was at least 10 degrees cooler in
the 2nd floor, and maybe 40 degrees cooler in the attic.

BTW,, after about 15 seasons wtih the fan, I noticed something that
looked like the line from a dryer lint filter on much of the soffitt.
I couldn't really see it from the ground but I could from a latter,
and I peeled it all off. I'm sure without the fan, there wouldn't
have been so much venting or that layer.

opinion that the gable vents will short circuit some of the air by
allowing air to come in the gables and exit via the ridge, instead of
coming up through the soffits. In practice, I doubt this is a problem
worth worrying about. One thing for sure, adding a power vent into
this equation is unlikely to make things better and may make them
worse. Why do you think you need a powered gable vent?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.