Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Efficiency of braided vs solid wire

I have an outdoor receptacle (B)that is connected to a GFI outdoor
receptacle (A) via a shielded extension cord-14?.B got wet, corrosion set in
and I plan to replace it.I have been told that an outdoor solid wire from A
to B would be better and that if I used a braided wire unless ALL the
strands are securely attached it might conduct but not be able to handle a
heavy load such as an 120 V electric water heater. True? Is there a way I
can measure whether the braided wire is fully conductive

You can measure the voltage drop between the wire a half inch from the
receptacle, and the screw head that the wire is attached to. I've
never done that but I would expect it to be minuscule, way less than
a volt. Less than a tenth of a volt, I would think.

You don't have to have all the strands under the screw, but you should
have almost all. Is that not possible? With the power off, twist the
strands, and bend the twisted part into a clockwise hook. If a strand
is in contact with the screw head or the part the screw screws into,
or it's anywhere in the sandwich, that's as good as one can do.

In some cases you can solder ring or 2-prong pitchfork ends to the
wire, and put that under the screw. Rings might not work because many
times the screw won't come out all the way. Often home tools,
mixmasterrs, etc. are done that way inside. But I don't think you
need any end at all.

The most likely place, because of the acid in the battery and the
reactions it causes, for a bad connection is between a car's battery
post and the big lead connector on it. If it's *really bad* it will
be hot to the touch.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.