Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

Default Gable Fan?

Ok, I just had a new roof with a ridge vent installed on my Cape, along with
new siding and perforated soffit vents. There are also gable vents on either
end.

Because of the configuration of the upstairs hallway, installing a whole
house fan will be difficult (and I don't want to put it in one of the
bedrooms). Also, I understand that whole house fans do a good job of pulling
in HUMID cool air, as well as being noisey.

I'm interested in a gable fan - cooling the attic space, and leaving my dry
air conditioned air alone on the second floor.

Is there any danger of the fan pulling in rain water through the ridge vent?
Are they typically a low amp type of deal - meaning could it be wired into
an existing outlet near by, or does it need it's own dedicated circuit?

Also, somebody said I shouldn't even have gable vents anymore, as there is
supposed to be a flow between the soffit and ridge vents - and the gable
vent will eliminate that. Should I just have one gable vent with a fan and
cap the other one?

Thanks

-CF