Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Cheap 2-pin wood moisture meter

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 03:43:02 GMT, "Leon"

:
I see a LOT of signs of seepage, all over the attic, but haven't spotted
any dry rot, so it doesn't worry me. What has bothered me is that I
can't tell if those signs are current wet spots or spots that dried up
decades ago. That's why I want to get this meter. A post I saw in a
newsgroup suggested that you can make your own meter just using a
multimeter (ohmmeter). I was playing around with a couple of mine last
night and found that at the highest ranges they do show readings for wet
wood. Thing is, I don't know how to interpret them. I guess I'll just
buy the $20 meter.

Sounds normal to me and I think the job would look shoddy if that many
places were leaking now with that type roof.

First, does the decking look normal. It would have to get wet for the wood
below it got wet and it would show signs of getting wet not just the wood
below it.
Second, if you see no signs of wet ceilings or insulation, take a look up
there during and or immediately after a rain. If there is a leak it will be
wet up there.
Third, cedar shingle roofs experienced this every time it rained. No
problem so far, right? Nothing falling apart, only dry stains?
Fourth, if you have a next door neighbor, ask to take a look inside his
attic. His roof was probably originally cedar shake also and probably the
inside of his attic looks like yours.