Posted to rec.woodworking
LarryLev

Default Pancake compressor sparking motor ...

I have a Porter-Cable pancake compressor, made in 1999, which currently
tends to show sparks from the motor housing when it is running. The
other day, it quit completely and then today, when I tested it, the
motor fired right up. 1) any one have any idea what the problem might
be? bad brushes? 2) something I can do myself or do I need to take it
to the shop? the one place around the corner seemed to think it would
need a new motor/pump combo, at a cost of $150. Yes, they too thought
that was silly. But, then again, that is when I told them that it was
dead. I don't know what they would say if I showed them the current
behavior. thanks in advance.