Posted to sci.engr.lighting,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house

Default CFL's and dimming

Victor Roberts wrote:

Considering the large number of different circuits that can
be used for electronic lamp ballasts, it is risky to propose
one solution for operation of these ballasts outside their
design voltage range.

Reducing V was not proposed as a solution, more an obervation that it
could be done. It has too many too large issues to be worth doing. And
I cant see the point in dimming them anyway. Dimming seems to be an
unthinking fashion.

The ballasts I played with here dont seem to have any regulation
mechanism that I can see, just oscillate, drive, and cap to bypass the
arc during heatup. I daresay theres all sorts about.

Another possible but not recommended diming method is to wrap
resistance wire round the lamp and connect to power. Increased temps
have quite a dimming effect

NT