Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Carlson

Default Opinions on combining bathrooms? Effect on selling house?

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Keith Carlson wrote:
Anyone want to offer his or her opinion on whether a small bathroom
in the master BR of a house will be a hindrance to selling?

First I would not consider it, unless it was being done for me and I
planed to keep the home for a long time. I certainly would not expect to
recover the cost in a sale. It might even lower the sales price.

I also suggest that you may need to check local codes. Some have
some
funny regulations.

I would think that most people would want a private bath for the

master
and a public bath for the first floor, as it is now.

Lemme guess- OP has a 1960s- mid 1970s cookie cutter? Those closet-sized
'master baths' were real popular here in the midwest as a cheap way to
upscale a house. Sometimes, they even had a second door opening into the
little square where the back door and basement door connected to the
kitchen. Stall showers were common, often built in place and badly done.

Yep, you are correct. I missed pointing that out in my original post. 1973
rambler in Minnesota (far West suburbs of Minneapolis). The house is very
small compared to what they are building now, less than a mile away.

Thanks for all the feedback (from all). It seems pretty clear that combining
would not be a good idea in terms of selling. Would definitely cost some $
because taking out a wall is a bit beyond my capabilities.

I guess I'll probably just look to some improvements in the current
bathroom(s). The master bath is small, so maybe taking out the vanity and
installing a pedestal sink will visually open things up and help make it
seem less cramped.
The good thing about the small bathroom is that I could use top-shelf
materials and not spend a fortune since I'd need so little of them!