Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Dan_Musicant

Default Cheap 2-pin wood moisture

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:04:21 -0500, "George H Hughes"
wrote:

:I have one! It works but I find it is a bit difficult to use. You really
:have to push it in the 1/8" that the instructions say in order to get a
:reading. I have a difficult time getting a reading through long grain. Not
:such a problem with end grain. I got it to keep track of the moisture in my
:bowl blanks for turning. That's my story and I gotta stick with it......
:George Hughes
:Warner Robins, GA

I can't imagine why you'd have to get much penetration. Maybe not
getting much of the probes embedded increases the resistance. Yeah, I
guess that makes sense. The shame of it is that you are making holes in
your wood - not an issue in my attic and I guess not particularly at HD,
where most of the wood I buy is pretty much for crude stuff, anyway.

Dan
:snip
:
: I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight:
:
: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2757
:
: It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for
: it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my
: very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to
: guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks
: a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing
: it with my hand.
:
: Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist
: or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or
: check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home
: Depot, etc.
:
: Thanks for any information.
: